Configure Barcoding system (Barcode) in SharePoint for Document libraries and Lists.
Note:- We can configure the Barcodes for only Document and List libraries in SharePoint 2007
Barcoding is configured for unique identification of Physical assests in the company. SharePoint generates the Unique Barcode values automatically out of the box.
Steps to Enable the Barcode Policy at Site Collection level.
1. Browse to the site where you need to configure Barcodes.
2. Click Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Modify All Site Settings -> Site Collection Policies
3. Click on Create to create the Policy
4. Enter the desired Name and Policy Statement
5. Select the Enable Barcodes checkbox -> Click OK
The Site Collection Policy will be created, now we need to activate this policy for a library or list. The steps are same for both. It needs to be activated at the Content Type level.
Steps to Activate the Policy to a List
1. Browse to the List -> Select Settings -> List Settings -> Advanced Settings -> "Yes" for Allow Managment of Content Types -> OK
2. Click on the Content Type (by Default Item will be shown) -> Select Information Managment Policy Settings -> Select Use a Site Collection Policy -> from drop down, the one we created in above steps -> Click OK
Now when you start Adding items using the Content Type to which the Policy was applied, Barcodes will be generated. Modify the View to show the columns "Barcode" and "Barcode Value"